There’s a gorgeous guy sitting across me on this chugging train right now, lightly bobbing his head to some music as he reads through lecture notes, his short fringe swaying along with every slight movement. I tried not to stare, but it’s sunny outside and I just love the way the sun makes his green eyes look every time he glances out of the window. Gahh I’m nervous. I started with not being able to decide which direction I should cross my legs, then I began fiddling my thumbs, then I couldn’t stop running through my hair with my fingers, then I tried to concentrate on the few notes I had on hand (but couldn’t), and then I decided that I should probably finish drafting this post.
I had a couple of these oatmeal squares this morning and they were heavenly — soft and tender, yet slightly chewy from the oats. I just love Autumn for the abundance of berries and the freedom of making endless amounts of berrylicious sweet treats as and when I want. These oatmeal squares were made with an easy, one bowl, no mixer recipe that takes just minutes to put together. Perfect for busy people with an unreignable (is this even a word?) sweet tooth.
3-4 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup plant-based milk
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
Handful of blueberries
2 tbsp dried fruits (I used dried mulberries) (OPTIONAL)
2 tbsp desiccated coconut (OPTIONAL)
1 tbsp chia seeds (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, OPTIONAL: grease baking dish with coconut oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 7-10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: With soy/ coconut yoghurt.
- STORAGE: In an air-tight container in the fridge.
— — —
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tbsp plant-based milk
1 tbsp cacao/ carob powder
- Mix all the ingredients together in a little bowl and drizzle over oatmeal squares.
He alighted at the station before mine, and smiled at me just as he got up and made his way out of the beeping doors. What a way to start my week. :’)