I don’t understand how this bowl of everything managed to taste good, but it just did. (I’ll leave the recipe below.) It is healthy to live spontaneously sometimes, so yesterday, for lunch, and for every moment after, I did. I studied, cycled the perimeter of Schloss Nymphenburg, read ‘the best-selling sensation’ DARING GREATLY; How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead by Brené Brown, and watched the sunset with the deer in Hirschgarten. (Scroll down for a recording of what it sounded like to be in the midst of a Biergarten — a band playing, little kids running around, beer glasses clanking…)
Moments to remember: when a little girl 2 blocks down asked me what my name was and then asked me ‘why?’ while I was pumping my bike’s tyres, when three girls were trying to make a song out of their bikes’ bells which had different tones, and when I fell off my bike while riding on a path of loose gravel and a not-too-bad-looking member of the male population helped me up. Two bad falls in the course of a week — now my left ankle is as swollen as my right. Life.
“No matter how many plans you make or how much in control you are, life is always winging it.” ― Carroll Bryant
**The main flavours came from the sauerkraut, seaweed, dijon mustard and balsamic dressing, so everything else is pretty much optional/ can be substituted for something else.
E.g. Try rice or cous cous instead of the spelt and quinoa!
3 tbsp Spelt
5 tbsp Quinoa
3-4 tbsp Sauerkraut
4 tbsp Soya granules
1/2 cup Pumpkin cubes
4 tbsp Beans (I used Cannellini)
1/2 cup Veggies (I had carrots, french beans and peas)
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Balsamic dressing
1. GROUP A — Cook the spelt and quinoa according to the instructions on its package. Add the soya granules to the pot of cooking spelt and quinoa.
2. Soak the beans overnight and cook as instructed on its package OR simply use canned beans.
3. Bake/ grill/ steam the veggies and pumpkin.
4. GROUP B — beans, sauerkraut, shredded seaweed, and all the spices/ condiments written above. // Mix GROUP A and B. (Add S+P to taste.)
5. IN SERVING BOWL — Base: Mixed GROUP A and B // Side: veggies, pumpkin // Topping: Buckwheat groats
Ah yes, the recording:
Blessed weekend! Xx
ONE MORE THING: Usain Bolt was at the Oktoberfest and I just caught him as he appeared on the TV! Donning a Lederhosen and smiley as can be, he said that this year is his 4th year coming to the Oktoberfest and that he loves ‘the entertainment’! 😉