Today I turn twenty.
I’d like to share twenty lessons I’ve learned in the first twenty years of my life.
1. Gratitude is the key to happiness; Comparison is the thief of joy.
2. Don’t rely on others for motivation.
3. Your gut/ intuition is always right; Your heart is your best compass.
4. One mustn’t forget to pause for peace some time during the day… even if it’s just for 5-10 minutes.
5. Goodnight hugs and kisses heal the day.
6. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.
7. Life is a reflection of Your thoughts.
8. You must love Yourself before You can love anybody else.
9. Solitude and loneliness are two very different things; Peace is a choice; Quiet reflection feeds the soul.
10. Often those who aren’t the easiest to love are the ones who need it the most.
11. One should never leave the house angry.
12. Sometimes the best answer is silence.
13. Balance and moderation are the golden guidelines for everything in life.
14. Freedom is worth the responsibility.
15. You can’t force friendships.
16. Anything that happens in life holds in it a blessing in disguise (>> It will lead each of us to where we rightfully need to be in life. There is a difference between where we want to end up and where we need to end up in life.)
17. When You need a break from life, work out.
18. You are what You eat.
19. You will get paid back in the same coin; Karma exists.
20. If someone stays up with You till the wee hours of the morning listening to Your thoughts/ remembers the little details/ makes You feel comfortable in Your own skin/ brings You a bag of bananas or mangoes or sweet potatoes or whatever it is that floats Your boat to cheer You up, he/ she is a keeper. 😉
As I was typing this list out, I grew very curious of what mattered to my precious friends, so I took it to snapchat to pose them this question:
“What life lessons do You live by?”
This was what I received:
1. You can’t move on without saying goodbye to Your past.
2. Live and let live.
3. Always be kind./ It pays to be kind./ Being kind is more important than being right.
4. Never be too good to start at the bottom.
5. Be Your own best friend/ biggest fan.
6. Nothing truly beautiful asks for attention.
7. Things not going as planned sometimes make for the best stories.
8. If you need to take a day off, take it but don’t make a habit out of it.
9. Being close to someone is never about the proximity.
10. Take videos. It’s one of the best forms of documentation.
11. There is no right way to do anything.
12. You can’t please everybody, and that’s okay.
13. It’s never too late to start over.
14. Don’t forget to remind people how much they mean to You.
15. Feeling beautiful has nothing to do with what You look like.
16. Life doesn’t get better/ easier, You do.
Thank You, friends, for being so wonderful as to have shared Your wisdom with me.
Something I pledge to live by as a 20-year-old would be to stop accumulating things to enjoy in the future because nothing about the future is certain. I will burn my scented candles, use my pretty sheets, wear my favourite dresses, make every meal fancy and tell the people I love that I absolutely adore them. I’ve been saving so many things for special occasions/ procrastinating things I intend to do, thinking that I have eternity to live. Oh dear but truth be told… Today is special. Every single day is special. Some things really cannot wait.
I also pledge to love more. Libya Bray once uttered something I hold very close to my heart: “To live is to love, to love is to live.” I figured that love doesn’t have to be complicated. The little things do matter. Love isn’t complicated and we shouldn’t make it to be. The people You are kind to won’t forget You, even if You never see them again – love is that powerful.
Oh and one more thing I learned? It’s not Fun-guy. It’s Fun-jy.
I think I can, I think I can.
I think I can make it through this thing we call life.