28th of October marks my 🌱EGAN Six-Months-Versary!!! 😄 As I approach this day, I get a sensation similar to that which I feel days before my birthday. I suppose it’s because I see my transition to Veganism as a form of rebirth.
Looking back on the last 2.5 years of my life, I am thankful for all that/ who has come into and gone out of my life – they’ve/ You’ve changed my perspectives, ideals and goals in life.
Do not allow negative experiences make You bitter, they should make You wiser and with that wisdom, You shall find joy. – Leon Brown
Experience doesn’t make You wiser. Evaluated experience makes You wiser. – Andy Stanley
I read something a few months back which incited a reaction in me that had otherwise never been evoked: 7 STRANGE QUESTIONS THAT HELP YOU FIND YOUR LIFE PURPOSE
- WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOUR OF SHIT SANDWICH AND DOES IT COME WITH AN OLIVE?
- WHAT IS TRUE ABOUT YOU TODAY THAT WOULD MAKE YOUR 8-YEAR-OLD SELF CRY?
- WHAT MAKES YOU FORGET TO EAT AND POOP?
- HOW CAN YOU BETTER EMBARRASS YOURSELF?
- HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD?
- GUN TO YOUR HEAD, IF YOU HAD TO LEAVE THE HOUSE ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, WHERE WOULD YOU GO AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
- IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DIE ONE YEAR FROM TODAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO AND HOW WOULD YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED?
The questions are certainly rather abstract and they probably confuse You a little as to how they could link You towards finding Your life purpose, thus I really do recommend You spending 14 minutes to read through this wonderfully written article by the Author, Thinker & Life Enthusiast, Mark Manson.
This was something which stood out for me from the article: So when people say, “What should I do with my life?” or “What is my life purpose?” what they’re actually asking is: “What can I do with my time that is important?”
I got around answering these questions, and I highly suggest that You do too!! It may very possibly provide You with the same direction in Your life as it had in mine. It made me realise my passion in health sciences and helping others getting the most out of their health, while helping them steer clear of the deception that the food industry.
I want need to be a doctor.
I want need to be a Vegan activist.
I want need to be the best and the healthiest version of myself.
And I will do everything I possibly and legally can to achieve these.
I blame my EDs for a lot of things, but yet at the same time, I am thankful for them too. Paradoxically, they wrecked my life to eventually save me. It was a radical way of helping me get on the right track, but it did so anyway, and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
The EDs brought very special people into my life, I’ve learned so much about Food & Nutrition that I would have otherwise not learned about, and I found Veganism.
The EDs made me feel trapped and Veganism was the only way out for me. It gave me the option to eat unbelievable amounts of food without feeling guilty about it and nourishing myself in a way which I believe we are all entitled to.
The last 6 months as a Vegan have been difficult because of the perceptions/ stereotypes which comes with it, but I believed (and still do believe!) in time – that with it, perceptions could change, acceptance could cease to be an issue and the animal kingdom (and the environment too!!) would be treated humanely.
Being vegan is easy. Are there social pressures that encourage you to continue to eat, wear, and use animal products? Of course there are. But in a patriarchal, racist, homophobic, and ableist society, there are social pressures to participate and engage in sexism, racism, homophobia, and ableism. At some point, you have to decide who you are and what matters morally to you. And once you decide that you regard victimizing vulnerable non-humans is not morally acceptable, it is easy to go and stay vegan. - Gary L. Francione (at Vegan For Life 🌱🐘🌏)
It’s not just a question of animal ethics. Meat production is humankind’s least efficient means of feeding itself. For every pound of meat that goes to the plate, it took sixteen pounds of grain and soybean feed to put it there. On top of this, each calorie of meat protein requires approximately 78 calories of fossil fuels to produce. At a time where 4,000 children die each day from the lack of safe water, livestock production — including feeds — accounts for about half the fresh water used in industrialized nations. In short: an affluent, meat-rich diet consumes up to three times more resources than one based on vegetables.
We all love animals. Why do we call some ‘pets’ and others ‘dinner? – K.D. Lang
Make the ethical connection. There is SO much more to Veganism than people think! It has in incredibly huge impact on practically everything in this world. More often than not, it is the lack of cognitive connection made between a cow and the beef on one’s plate that prevents one’s understanding of the link between one’s dietary needs wants and the death of a beautiful animal.
🌱 HEALTH, ETHICS & the ENVIRONMENT 🌱
(I found an absolutely brilliant Infographic for a quick overview on how Veganism could make this world a better place for us all. I’ve included it all the way at the bottom of this post!)
Do a little something for Yourselves and for the animals, help out for the right reasons (no.10). It’s proven that by being a kind soul, You’re granted a longer life. A perfect recipe for enjoying more out of this blessing we call life, don’t You think? 🙂
Inspire Yourself! Watch Vegan YouTubers and follow Vegan blogs/ Instagram pages. 🙂 I highly highly recommend reading these stories from people who became Vegan after educating themselves and being open-minded enough to accept the fact that there is room for improvement in their diet. I promise You, You WILL be inspired. (If You’d like more inspiration/ motivation, I’ve included tons of videos below, which You could watch if You have the time. You don’t have to watch everything; one would already make a big difference.) Experiment with loads of different Vegan recipes, You’ll be surprised as to how enjoyable it could be and also as to how wide a range Vegan food possibilities can add up to. (This list isn’t exhaustive!)
A lot of learning and educating Yourself is involved in any transition and I thought I’d share a large chunk of what helped me with it. I collated it all into sectioned lists so that it would be a little more ordered/ organised for Your viewing pleasure. ♥ From videos to books and recipes, I do hope that these would provide You with a clearer picture of what exactly it is that I believe in. :’)
🌱Fantastic Individuals Who’ve Largely Shaped My Perspective On Veganism 🌱
- Bonny Rebecca (& her boyfriend, Tim!!): Tumblr (& this is pretty darn amazing), YouTube: Bonny’s & Tim’s, Insta: @bonnyrebecca & @slimliketim
- Jenny & John Mustard: Website, YouTube, Instagram & Tumblr
- Nina & Randa: YouTube (Pssst! Their “5 Reasons to GO VEGAN”!.), Website, Tumblr, Twitter, Insta: @ninanelson, @randanelson, @ninaandranda
- Cornelia Grimsmo: Tumblr, YouTube, Insta: @grimcorn
- Ella Grace Denton: Website, Insta: @ellagracedenton
- Sjana Earp: Website, Tumblr, Insta: @sjanaelise
- Cam & Nina: YouTube
- Alicia Silverstone: Website
And if You’re interested, here are 10 unexpected Vegans!
I became a vegan the day I watched a video of a calf being born on a factory farm. The baby was dragged away from his mother before he hit the ground. The helpless calf strained its head backwards to find his mother. The mother bolted after her son and exploded into a rage when the rancher slammed the gate on her. She wailed the saddest noise I’d ever heard an animal make, and then thrashed and …dug into the ground, burying her face in the muddy placenta. I had no idea what was happening respecting brain chemistry, animal instinct, or whatever. I just knew that this was deeply wrong. I just knew that such suffering could never be worth the taste of milk and veal. I empathized with the cow and the calf and, in so doing, my life changed. – James McWilliams
🌱 New to/ Interested in Veganism/ Vegetarianism? 🌱
- Debunking Myths/ Misconceptions
- The Easy Way Into Veganism
- Easing Into Veganism with ‘Veganuary’
- The Ultimate Guide To Living A Healthy & Compassionate Lifestyle
- ANOTHER RECOMMENDED VEGAN INTRO/ GUIDE; oh & THIS!
- Educating Yourself & Amazing Vegan Recipes/ Hacks
- Vegan Food Guide + Sanctuary Spotlight
- For making vegan easy: (1) & (2) & (3) & (4)
- For startling nutritional facts
- Grocery List: (1) & (2) & (3) & (4)
- The Easy Way To Give Up Meat (You can really Veganise ANYTHING in the world!! When searching for recipes online, simply add the word “Vegan” into the search and voilà!)
- Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen
I became a Vegan after realizing that animals feel afraid, cold, hungry and unhappy like we do. I feel very deeply about Veganism and the animal kingdom. It was my dog, Boycott, who led me to question the right of humans to eat other sentient beings. – Cesar Chavez
🌱 Documentaries/ Videos 🌱
- AMAZING AND LOGICAL EXPLANATION
- Cowspiracy; (Trailer) (Do also check out this AMAZING website!!) This could arguably be one of the best Vegan documentaries there is out there. It managed to turn a whole carnivorous restaurant Vegan. *Look!*
- 101 Reasons To Go Vegan
- 10 reasons to go vegan that have nothing to do with
- The Food We were Born to Eat
- Gary Yourofsky’s Best Speech You Will Ever Hear
- If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls
- Forks Over Knives
- Kids Being Wonderful & Inspiring (Extra: Is it safe for kids to be Vegan?)
- Food Inc
- Food Matters
- Black Fish
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
*Here’s* a great list of Vegan movies!
P.s. I’ve embed a couple of these documentaries under the tab, “Documentaries”. You could check them out there!
The question is not, ‘Can they reason?’ nor, ‘Can they talk?’ but rather, ‘Can they suffer? – Jeremy Bentham
There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery. – Charles Darwin
🌱 Books 🌱
- A Diet for A Poisoned Planet by David Steinman
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows by Melanie Joy
- The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and his son Thomas M. Campbell II
- Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis
- The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and Victoria Pearson
- Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman
- The Starch Solution by John A. McDougall and Mary A. McDougall
- The High Carb Diet by John A. McDougall and Mary A. McDougall
- Skinny Bitch by Kim Barnouin
- 80/10/10 by Dougal Graham
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, and Steven L. Hopp
- The Soil Will Save Us by Kristin Ohlson
- Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won’t Eat Meat by Howard Lyman
I just could not stand the idea of eating meat – I really do think that it has made me calmer…. People’s general awareness is getting much better, even down to buying a pint of milk: the fact that the calves are actually killed so that the milk doesn’t go to them but to us cannot really be right, and if you have seen a cow in a state of extreme distress because it cannot understand why its calf isn’t by, it can make you think a lot. – Kate Bush
🌱 E-Books 🌱
We will love and respect only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught or allowed to experience. – Baba Dioum
🌱 Doctors 🌱
- John McDougall, MD
- Michael Greger, MD
- Michael Klaper, MD
The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men. – Leonardo Da Vinci
But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy. – Plutarch
Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, ‘My appetite is more important than your suffering’? – Moby
🌱 Want to know even more? 🌱
- The True Number of Animals We Kill Every Year
- Everything Wrong With Environmentalism
- Is It A Personal Choice to Eat Animals?
- The Truth About Free-Range & Cage-Free
- Vegan vs. Vegetarian [dairy/egg cruelty vs. meat]
- Favouring One Species Over Another
- What If the World Went Vegan Tomorrow? [concerning animals overrunning]
- Loving Dogs While Eating Cows/ Pigs/ Chickens
- Condemning Hunting While Eating Animals
- Do Animals Grieve?
- Cattle Rancher Turned Vegan
- Series On Vegan Nutrition Concerns With Dr. Greger
- Vegan Vs. Paleo
- What About Wool?
- What About Silk? (1) & (2)
- What About Honey/ Bee Pollen? (1) & (2) & (3)
- What About Fish?
- What About Omega-3s?
- What’s REALLY In Your Food
- What’s REALLY In Pet Food
- Is Cheese Addictive?
- More About Milk
- More About Eggs
- Too Much Sugar In Fruits? (1) & (2) & (3)
- More On Health Impact
- Veganism Can Make You Smell Good?
- More On Environmental Impact
- More On Sociological Impact
- More On Ethical and Moral Impact
I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man. – Mohandas Gandhi
🌱 Recipe Inspiration 🌱
*Note: A large majority of the following are Vegan sites, however a couple Vegetarian/ Paleo sites are present among the pile as well. I thought that by including these diets in the list, I’d be helping some of You out there making the transition from a omnivorous diet (in the event that You may be interested in doing so). ♥
- Mari Jasmine
- One Green Planet (Be sure to check out the vegan cakes!)
- Nutrition Stripped
- Deliciously Ella (I highly recommend the page she dedicated to her ‘Philosophy’)
- Ella Grace Denton
- Minimalist Baker
- Sweet Potato Soul
- My New Roots
- Wholehearted Eats
- Clean Cuisine
- Oh my veggies (Be sure to check out the ‘Tips & Hints’!)
- My Darling Vegan
- Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen
- Breakfast With Audrey
- Crazy Vegan Kitchen
- Your Daily Vegan
- It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
- Blissful Basil
- The Whole Daily
- Lazy Cat Kitchen
- Cheeky Clean
- Oh She Glows
- Eat Better Not Less
- Lady Homemade
- The Holistic Ingredient
- Plantbased Pixie
- Liezl Jayne
- Dower & Hollingsworth
- Naturally Sassy
- The Natural Nutritionist
- The Natural Nurturer
- Secret Squirrel
- Health Synergy
- Healthy Food Guide
- Dolly & Oatmeal
- Madeline Bourke
- Superfood Siobhan
- Purely Twins
- One Hungry Mami
- Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
- Fantastically Fit
- I LOVE VEGAN
- A Sunshine Mission
My body will not be a tomb for other creatures. – Da Vinci
🌱 Tips For Crafting Your Own Recipes 🌱
- USEFUL Kitchen Charts!!!
- How to Veganise Recipes; Helpful How-Tos
- Food Combining: (1) & (2)
- Colouring Your Meals
- Egg Substitutions
- Other Substitutions
- Vegan Pizza! (There are tons of other possibilities!! Simply search “Vegan Pizza Crust” on Google; Quinoa/ Cauliflower/ Oat flour/ etc.)
- Pancake Possibilities (ignore the Cheese, Bacon and Beer, we don’t need those!) // A.s. a recipe I personally always use is as simply as 1 cup plant-based milk, 1 cup oat floor, and 1 mashed banana. 🙂
- Everything Quinoa-related
- Adding Fruits in Salads?
- Meal/ Buddha Bowls
- Grain Bowls
- Smoothie Bowls
- Berry Smoothie
- Green Smoothies: (1) & (2)
People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing to the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times. – Isaac Bashevis Singer
🌱 Aaaaand a little beauty tip 🌱
I continue to be amazed by our bodies’ ability for self-repair. … Our bodies want to be healthy, if we would just let them. That’s what these new research articles are showing: Even after years of beating yourself up with a horrible diet, your body can reverse the damage, open back up the arteries—even reverse the progression of some cancers. Amazing! So it’s never too late to start exercising, never too late to stop smoking and never too late to start eating healthier. – Michael Greger
To end off, here is the infographic I promised You earlier on in the post:
< Credits >